Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Summer Letter to Students

August 4, 2010


Dear Students,



Welcome to fourth grade! I am very excited to have you in my class this year. I can’t wait to get started! I know that we’ll have a wonderful year.


I hope that you are having a nice summer. My summer is going great! This summer has been a fun one for me and my family. First,my family and I spent some time on Cape Cod. My mom lives in Eastham, so we spent a lot of time visiting beaches there. My favorite beach to visit in Eastham is Coast Guard Beach. We love to ride the waves and dig in the sand! This summer, we saw many seals, and once even saw them very, very close to shore. We suspect that this has to do with the sightings of Great White Sharks in this area. Thankfully, we didn't see any sharks! Next week, I am going camping in Maine with my family. We'll spend our time water skiing and relaxing. My two children, Sam and Grace, really love spending the summer doing these fun things.


My favorite place to go in the summer is the beach. It is a great place to relax and enjoy a good book. I read many books at the beach. I like mysteries most of all. This summer, I really enjoyed catching up on my reading. I just finished The Red Pyramid, by Rick Riordan. This is a new series by the author of the Percy Jackson books. I enjoyed this book, but it is definitely challenging for elementary school students. I also read We the Children by Andrew Clements. This book is the first in the series Benjamin Pratt and the Keepers of the School. I enjoyed this book and am interested in checking out the next book.
Finally, I am catching up on the 39 Clues series of books. I am reading book book 9 now, and I'm excited for book 10, which will be released on August 31st. I am sure that many of you enjoyed reading this summer, as well. You will have many opportunities to check out new books this year during Reader's Workshop.


I hope that you have been working on the fourth grade summer reading list. Remember that you will be invited to a special performance in September if you return your signed list to school.


In September, we will be working on our first science project, making terrariums. For this project, you will need a large glass or plastic jar. It should be at least 12 inches tall, and have a wide mouth (big enough to put your hands in). If it has a lid, that will be helpful, however if it doesn’t, that is fine. Please try to have your jar to school by the second week of school.


I hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer. I am looking forward to a great year!


Sincerely,


Mrs. Merten

No comments:

Post a Comment