Monday, October 11, 2010

From the Teacher's Desk

From the Teacher's Desk

Our first six weeks of school have been great, and our class is becoming a little community. Overall, I am quite pleased about the progress we are making as a class. I wanted to share a few things about homework and assignments before the coming week.


Assignment Update

Often after I have graded an assignment, I have a question or comment for the student. I may write SEE ME on a paper. This does not necessarily mean that I have a concern about the assignment. In fact, at times I want to remember to give a student a blue ticket or a chip for work well done. When I have seen a student, I will cross off the "SEE ME" in a different colored pen. This shows you that your child has come to me.


At times, you may receive a paper from a student that says "parent signature" or "please sign". Understand that I ask for a signature not so that your child is punished, or gets into trouble, but because I want to be sure that information is communicated to you in a timely manner. If you get a paper that has a signature requested on it, and you have questions/concerns about this, please don't hesitate to contact me.


Homework Update

I have been noticing that more students have been forgetting items at home, which resulted in homework being missing. As you know, the focus of fourth grade is helping the students become independent, however some students still need reminders. Please check in with your child to see how they are doing with this. If he/she is forgetting things like getting the assignment notebook signed or library books, please try to remind them. I find that creating a list for children to follow helps them to remember all of the items they need. This week, I will no longer be checking all of the assignment books nightly, rather, I will be doing "spot checks" to check that all assignments are written and materials are packed for those I'm checking. This is another step in the independence process.

No comments:

Post a Comment