Monday, September 12, 2011

Our First Week

Well, we made it through our first week! The children have adjusted very nicely to our class and the expectations of fourth grade. I hope you've heard from your child ~ the word we've discussed at length is responsibility. Every aspect of fourth grade requires the children to be more independent and responsible. It is a big year for growing in this area.

In the last wee, we have gotten to know each other a little better , and I know we are all looking forward to sharing the rest of our mystery bags. So far the children have done a great job! Look for some photos of this sharing later this week.

I use this blog as a communication tool, and to keep families informed of what is happening at school. I like to post pictures and videos, as well as links to important information. I hope you find it informative. Each week, I try to post a "Week In Review", highlighting the important aspects of our week. Today, I'll post a short one, and I'll try to elaborate on this at our orientation. I hope you enjoy!

Last week in Math, we got started with our first unit. The topic is Geometry. This unit contains a lot of review, so it is a nice way to start the year. I'm sure you've noticed that homework has increased this week. I hope that it has been manageable. Please don't worry if it seems your child is spending a long time on homework~ let me know and we can talk about some options. We will talk more about homework at our Parent Orientation on Wednesday afternoon.

In reading, we have learned most of the routine of Reader's Workshop. Last week I read aloud Ish, by Peter Reynolds. He has a great website here. Ish is a short storybook about a boy who loves to draw. I was really impressed with the children's thinking about this story. We also got some Reading Zone time last week (and today). Ask your child about Reading Zone, they should have something to share! This week I will be helping the children find books to put in their book bags. Each book your child reads should be finished within 2 weeks. The children have reading homework every night, with the reading log due in class, signed, on Friday. I ask that the children read the same book at home that they are reading here at school. Therefore, if your child has a book that he/she would like to read, please have them bring it to school, and we'll discuss it and put it in their book bag.

I will send an email to families when the blog is updated. You can also opt to be a "follower" of this blog. Followers receive the blog in email format, so that you can read it as soon as it is published. Either way, you'll receive notification when this blog is posted.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you on Wednesday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment